Diane Trout (alienghic) wrote,
Diane Trout


I have the whole mozilla cvs root converted to Mercurial. The cvs20hg tool managed to read the whole thing without crashing. The conversion took just over 7 days, on one CPU of a dual dual core xeon box. The original cvs repository was 3.4 GiB, while the mercurial repository is 1.7 GiB. Even better I've been able to update my mirror of the cvs root with rsync and then get cvs20hg to update the mercurial repository with new changes.

I suspect that the (rather complicated) branching information was lost, though for my purposes that's fine. I just want to be able to apply, test, and remove patches from the mozilla head. (Mmm my own custom firefox and thunderbird).

If I cared more, my interpretation of the git docs suggest that it supports multiple branches within a single repository. Most of the other distributed version control systems view each repository as a single branch.

Now I just need to get ccache working with the mozilla build system so it doesn't take 3 hours to build.
Tags: mercurial, mozilla, programming

  • Guild Wars 2

    I started playing Guild Wars 2, and am happy their questing system has broken with WoW's current quest design. As WoW grew they "simplified" and…

  • calendar.

    Its been a really long time since I tried to write. I keep meaning to roll my own blog software, but there's so many other things I should be doing.…

  • Building debian packages for mozilla's sync server

    I'm surprised this seems to have gotten valid debian packages with a minimum of fuss for a package where I couldn't find a recommended release…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded