Log in

No account? Create an account


« previous entry | next entry »
Jan. 13th, 2003 | 01:58 pm

so I've had trouble with my experimentation with my Vonage phone. However it appears almost all of my troubles have been user error. First I didn't know that I needed to always dial the area code. Then it would work sporadically. However I then realized that I've been spoiled by my cellphone and only randomly added the initial 1 for the full 11 digit phone number (for some reason cell phones don't care about the initial 1).

I never fully appreciated the utility of the voice error messages from traditional phone service. (On the other hand with traditional phone service, I can't tcpdump the signaling information like I can with vonage.)

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {1}

(Deleted comment)

Diane Trout

(no subject)

from: alienghic
date: Jan. 13th, 2003 02:47 pm (UTC)

Yes, I think there've been some times where all of their outgoing lines were occupied and I got a busy signal. (Though some of those times I think were because I was dialing incorrectly.)

Sound quality, much like a cellphone varies. I've noticed an occasional echo, and a sometimes dropouts on my 256 kb upload connection). Though when it's working well, it's probably a little bit better sounding than my cell phone. (Though perhaps that could just the the telephone it's plugged into).

However another friend tested it with a 128kbps upload connection had long multisecond delays in the conversation.

Reply | Parent | Thread