?

Log in

No account? Create an account

(no subject)

« previous entry | next entry »
Sep. 19th, 2001 | 11:52 pm

Ack

I might have to give a presentation tomorrow morn. Of course I think I talked my boss into moving it until next week, but then I emailed her to ask her if she had. But alas, no response, so I don't really know if there is anything tomorrow.

Of course it still means I have to give a presentation soon.

The standard has been a power point presentation or other such thing... But even excluding the time spent fiddling with the computer to get it to show something useful I'm still worried about what to say. I really haven't given talks to groups of people before.

It scares me.

and I spent the day somewhat sick avoiding responsibility by reading sandman comics. I really hope my talk has been pushed off... But I also need to find something to talk about.

Its' at times like this that I most worry that I'm a fraud.

The last time was in school. 6 years ago. *sigh*

Link | Leave a comment | Share

Comments {5}

T e s s

(no subject)

from: soulsong
date: Sep. 20th, 2001 01:24 am (UTC)
Link

I remember 3 or 4 years ago when I was supposed to give a presentation to some clients of our company regarding the software I'd developed for them over the previous 6 months. I was absolutely terrified. As it happened, our company was taken over and they made us all redundant 2 days before the presentation was due to take place, which actually was a relief at the time, so you can imagine how afraid I must have been!

4 years on, things have changed. I regularly give presentations to senior business people and while I'm not a particularly confident or slick speaker, I do have faith in my own expertise which helps suppress the fear. I think perhaps a combination of my increasing age and experience is giving me a certain gravitas ;)

Reply | Thread

Diane Trout

(no subject)

from: alienghic
date: Sep. 20th, 2001 01:50 pm (UTC)
Link

I suppose if I had more expierance I wouldn't be as worried. Though even with the extra experiance I'd still be a bit nervous since I haven't given any presentations to this group. My big worry really has been to try and figure out what level to aim the talk at.

In my lab we've got a mix of pure CS people, hybrid CS/Biology people, and pure Biologists.

about 40% of the people in the room know what an API is, the other 60% probably don't know what a process is.

Reply | Parent | Thread

(no subject)

from: redtangent
date: Sep. 20th, 2001 11:19 am (UTC)
Link

I hate giving presentations. I feel very much the way you do.

Unfortunately, my current company appears to have a culture of making silly, pointless presentations to anyone who's interested, often conveying little useful information or serving any real purpose.

I think it's asking too much of software geeks to make them do interesting talks to real people. It's just cruel.

Like taking their internet access away. ;)

Reply | Thread

Diane Trout

(no subject)

from: alienghic
date: Sep. 20th, 2001 01:57 pm (UTC)
Link

At my previous job there was this one time the chief sales guy tried talking. The informational content of his little speach was so low I could've easily been coding and have processed everything he'd said.

One of the things I've noticed happen in some of our meetings is occasionally when one of the boss types gets off track and is carrying on a conversation with someone in the room. People turn to their laptops and start doing work or reading websites.

My predicition is that once we hit the age of wearable computers no one will ever pay attention in a meeting again.

Reply | Parent | Thread

(Deleted comment)

Diane Trout

(no subject)

from: alienghic
date: Sep. 20th, 2001 02:00 pm (UTC)
Link

Thanks for the luck...

My worry about being a fraud. Part of it stems from the fact that I feel like I spend too much time slacking, another is that it feels like takes me to long to get anything done, and the last reason is most likely just because I worry too much.

Reply | Parent | Thread